Have you ever wanted learn how to use open source GIS software offerings to develop web based GIS applications? Here is your opportunity! GeoSpatial Training Services is now offering a new instructor guided, web based course covering open source GIS software including PostGIS, GeoServer, and OpenLayers.
Attendees will learn how to load, publish, and share geospatial data with GeoServer. Discussion will include navigating the GeoServer user interface, OGC web services, styling data with SLD, and tile caching with GeoWebCache.
Attendees will learn about and create spatial databases, load data from a variety of sources into a spatial database, and perform queries against the data. Basic SQL syntax will be covered.
- Introduction to Open Source GIS Software
- General Open Source GIS Architecture
- Standards and OGC
- PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Introduction to SQL
- Introduction to PostgreSQL
- The Spatial Add-On – PostGIS
- The Map Server
- Creating Tiles
- The OpenLayers API
- The Complete Solution (Course Project)
- Recommendations and Common Errors
- Final Project
- CartoDB – The Web Mapping Platform
- Importing Data to CartoDB
- Web Publishing
- Web Mapping
- Animated Maps with Torque
- Installing OpenGeo Suite Community Edition
- Installing PostgreSQL and PostGIS
- Installing GeoServer
Example capstone projects completed by past students:
- European environmental data in a web based application
- Interactive map of languages of Spain in Western Europe
24 GISP Credit Hours
Course Formats and Pricing – Open Source GIS Bootcamp
Our hybrid classes are conducted through our online training platform. All lectures are pre-recorded so that you can progress through the materials at your own pace. The same applies to the exercises. You will have access to the instructor via email, phone, or chat if you have questions or problems. The instructor will be in weekly contact with the students in each class session. Our goal is to get everyone through the materials during the session dates. However, access to the course materials never expires so if you don’t finish during the session dates you will still have access to the materials.
You can also register for classes using our registration form.