In the Programming ArcGIS with Python Workshop you will learn introductory level programming ArcGIS with Python skills. This class is based on the book Programming ArcGIS with Python Cookbook (2nd Edition), written by our owner, Eric Pimpler. The course materials are applicable to ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 through 10.1.
This course is offered in a variety of formats including live-classroom, live-online, instructor guided-online, and self-paced. This is a hands-on style workshop with lots of exercises designed to teach you how to automate your ArcGIS geoprocessing tasks with Python. The workshop is designed around the content of the book. In addition to all the workshop materials, each student will also receive a digital copy of the book and lifetime access to all the course content over the web.
- Module 1: Introduction to Programming with Python
- Module 2: Managing Map Documents and Layers
- Module 3: Finding and Fixing Broken Data Links
- Module 4: Automating Map Production and Printing
- Module 5: Executing Geoprocessing Tools from Scripts
- Module 6: Creating Custom Geoprocessing Tools
- Module 7: Querying and Selecting Data
Course exercises include:
- Learning how to use the ArcGIS Python Window and IDLE
- Obtaining a reference to a map document
- Adding, inserting, removing, and moving layers programmatically in a map document
- Zooming to selected features
- Using ArcPy Mapping list functions to gather data
- Changing the map extent
- Updating layer symbology and properties
- Setting a definition expression on a layer
- Working with time-enabled layers in a data frame
- Using scripting to find a list of broken data layers and tables in a map document
- Fixing broken data layers using MapDocument, Layer, and Table objects
- Gathering a list of all map document files and their associated broken data sources on your computer
- Programmatically altering the layout view
- Exporting maps to PDF or image files
- Printing maps through your scripts
- Creating and exporting a report
- Creating a map book using Data Driven Pages and ArcPy Mapping
- Publishing a map document to ArcGIS Server
- Understanding how to call geoprocessing tools using a toolbox and alias
- Executing geoprocessing tools from a script
- Using the output of a tool as input to another tool (tool chaining)
- Creating a custom toolbox
- Creating a custom geoprocessing tool
- Creating a Python toolbox
16 GISP Credit Hours
Course Formats and Pricing – Programming ArcGIS with Python Workshop Introduction
Class will be held each day from 8:30 – 4:00 at the location provided above.
Our self-paced classes are delivered through our online training platform. You will be emailed instructions for creating a login and activating your course. All lectures are pre-recorded so you can progress through the course at your own pace. The same applies to the exercise. The course does not have an expiration date.
You can also register for classes using our registration form.