In Part 2 of the Programming ArcGIS with Python Workshop you will learn intermediate level programming ArcGIS with Python skills. This class is based on the book Programming ArcGIS with Python Cookbook (2nd Edition), written by our owner, Eric Pimpler. The course materials are applicable to ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 through 10.1.
This course is offered in a variety of formats including live-classroom, live-online, instructor guided-online, and self-paced. This is a hands-on style workshop with lots of exercises designed to teach you how to automate your ArcGIS geoprocessing tasks with Python. The workshop is designed around the content of the book. In addition to all the workshop materials, each student will also receive a copy of the book and lifetime access to all the course content over the web.
- Module 1: Using the Arcpy Data Access Module with Feature Classes and Tables
- Module 2: Listing and Describing GIS Data
- Module 3: Customizing the ArcGIS Desktop Interface with AddIns
- Module 4: Error Handling and Trouble Shooting
- Module 5: Using the ArcGIS REST API with Python to Access ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Online
- Module 6: 5 Things Every GIS Programmer Should Know
Course exercises include:
- Using cursors to select, insert, update and delete data from feature classes and tables
- Retrieving features from a feature class with a SearchCursor
- Filtering records with a where clause
- Improving cursor performance with geometry tokens
- Inserting rows with an InsertCursor (feature classes and tables)
- Updating rows with an UpdateCursor (feature classes and tables)
- Deleting rows with an UpdateCursor (feature classes and tables)
- Using edit sessions to insert and update rows
- Reading geometry from a feature class
- Using Walk() to navigate directories
- Downloading and installing the Python Add-In wizard
- Creating a button add-in
- Creating a tool add-in
- Using the Python addins module
- Installing and testing an add-in
- Getting started with the ArcGIS REST API
- Making HTTP requests and parsing the response with Python
- Exporting a map with the ArcGIS REST API and Python
- Querying a map service with the REST API
- Getting layer information with the ArcGIS REST API
- Geocoding with the Esri World Geocoding Service
- Populating a feature class with data using InsertCursor and the ArcGIS REST API
- Retrieving files from an ftp server
- Creating ZIP files
- Reading JSON and XML files
8 GISP Credit Hours
Course Formats and Pricing – Programming ArcGIS with Python Workshop Intermediate
Class will be held each day from 8:30 – 4:00 at the location provided above.
Our live-online classes are conducted from 9:30 – 5:00 each day. Classes are delivered via GoToTraining. You will receive an email containing login instructions for the GoToTraining session on the Wednesday before class begins.
Our hybrid classes are conducted through our online training platform. All lectures are pre-recorded so that you can progress through the materials at your own pace. The same applies to the exercises. You will have access to the instructor via email, phone, or chat if you have questions or problems. The instructor will be in weekly contact with the students in each class session. Our goal is to get everyone through the materials during the session dates. However, access to the course materials never expires so if you don’t finish during the session dates you will still have access to the materials.
Add instructor support for your self-paced class. Support is provided by email, chat sessions, or phone.
Our self-paced classes are delivered through our online training platform. You will be emailed instructions for creating a login and activating your course. All lectures are pre-recorded so you can progress through the course at your own pace. The same applies to the exercise. The course does not have an expiration date.
You can also register for classes using our registration form.