In this introductory class you’ll be introduced to the popular QGIS Open Source GIS software. After learning how to load data into QGIS from popular GIS formats including shapefiles, geodatabases, CSV files, and others you’ll then learn how to visualize and style the data, edit data, and manage data. You’ll learn how to add basemaps, work with projections, label layers, and create print jobs. Web mapping is very important so you’ll also learn how to publish your maps online using the QGIS Cloud service. Next, you’ll learn density, visibility, and suitability analysis. Finally, you’ll learn how to model and automate workflows using the Graphical Modeler. You’ll create, edit, and share models, and learn the basics of automating your analysis with Python scripts.
- Load GIS data into QGIS including shapefiles, rasters, geodatabases, CSV files, GPS, OpenStreetMap
- Adding basemaps
- Work with projections
- Grouping and re-ordering data
- Styling vector and raster datasets
- Layer rendering
- Format your print jobs with legends, scalebar, compass, overview maps
- Publishing maps online with QGIS Cloud service
- WMS and WFS settings for QGIS Cloud
- Density, visibility, and suitability analysis
- Automating data analysis with the QGIS processing framework
- Using the Graphical Modeler
- Implementing workflows
- Creating, editing, and sharing models
- Automating analysis with scripts
- Module 1: Introduction to QGIS
- Module 2: Managing Data
- Module 3: Visualizing Data
- Module 4: Creating and Editing Vector Data
- Module 5: Data Analysis
- Module 6: Sharing Your Maps
16 GISP Credit Hours
Course Formats and Pricing
Our self-paced classes are delivered through our online training platform. You will be emailed instructions for creating a login and activating your course. All lectures are pre-recorded so you can progress through the course at your own pace. The same applies to the exercise. The course does not have an expiration date.
Our instructor guided, online classes are conducted through our online training platform. All lectures are pre-recorded so that you can progress through the materials at your own pace. The same applies to the exercises. You will have access to the instructor via email, phone, or chat if you have questions or problems. The instructor will be in weekly contact with the students in each class session. Our goal is to get everyone through the materials during the session dates. However, access to the course materials never expires so if you don’t finish during the session dates you will still have access to the materials.
Class will be held each day from 8:30 – 4:00 at the location provided above.
Our live-online classes are conducted from 9:30 – 5:00 each day. Classes are delivered via GoToTraining. You will receive an email containing login instructions for the GoToTraining session on the Wednesday before class begins.
You can also register for classes using our registration form.