Data science, also known as data-driven science, is an interdisciplinary field about scientific methods, processes and systems to extract knowledge or insights from data in various forms, either structured or unstructured.
Data science is a “concept to unify statistics, data analysis and their related methods” in order to “understand and analyze actual phenomena” with data. It employs techniques and theories drawn from many fields within the broad areas of mathematics, statistics, information science, and computer science, in particular from the subdomains of machine learning, classification, cluster analysis, data mining, databases, and visualization.
Furthermore, now that we are in a period of regional to worldwide scale perception and simulation of the Earth, delivering information that are too BIG, move too quick, and don’t fit the structures and handling limit of traditional database frameworks, there is incredible potential for GIS/GIScience to add to the advancement of data science.
Geospatial Training Services will soon be offering a full slate of data science classes including the following:
Data Science Classes Coming Soon
- R for Data Science I: R Programming and Efficient Data Management
- R for Data Science II: Machine Learning
- Data Science with R and Spark
- Python for Data Science I: Python programming and efficient data management (Pandas)
- Python for Data Science II: Machine Learning
- Data Science with Python and Spark
- Advanced Data Science: Systems of Recommendation
- Data Science Advanced: Text and Web Mining
- Data Science Advanced: Exploiting Information from Social Networks: Network Analysis
- Advanced Data Science: Deep Learning
- Advanced Data Science: NoSQL
- Data Science for Managers
- Introduction to Spatial Statistics using ArcGIS and R